The Oxford American is hiring a Finance Assistant.
The Finance Assistant is a part time hourly position estimated to be approximately 20 hours per week, and reports directly to the Director of Finance and Operations, with additional collaboration and oversight from the Executive Director. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented with demonstrated knowledge of bookkeeping, finance, and basic accounting practices, and will have excellent organizational skills. The Finance Assistant should be able to communicate in a clear and professional manner with vendors, customers, donors, and leadership in person, by phone, and in writing. The Finance Assistant will be handling sensitive data on a daily basis and must be able to maintain confidentiality at all times. This position will work from the Oxford American's office located in the South Main neighborhood of Little Rock, Arkansas.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain a ledger of checks and invoices coming into the office on a daily basis.
- Enter accounts payable and print checks.
- Assist with invoicing.
- Enter cash receipts and prepare deposits for bank.
- Reconcile monthly bank statements, credit card statements, and consignment ledgers.
- Enter monthly Palm Coast Data journal entries and reconcile accounts.
- Assist with month-end and year-end closing activities, and audit prep as needed.
- Receive and process payment information by phone.
- Review data entered into QuickBooks for accuracy, and ensure supporting documentation has been received and attached (contracts, w9s, Insert Orders, etc.).
- Filing, file maintenance, and document archiving in accordance with IRS standards and Oxford American policy.
- Assist with cash management process for concerts, shows, and events.
- Other office and administrative duties as assigned.
KEY SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with Excel, Word, and QuickBooks is a requirement.
- Knowledge of Neon or another CRM or database software is helpful.
- Exceptional communication and organization skills.
- To be commensurate with the skill set and experience level of the candidate.
The Oxford American offers a comprehensive year-round editorial internship program.
Internships are unpaid, and we have full-time and part-time positions available. Internship terms begin in January, June, and September, though the program provides some flexibility for starting dates. Six-month internships are also available. The Oxford American's office is located in the South Main neighborhood of Little Rock, Arkansas, and we have a satellite office on the campus of the University of Central Arkansas in Conway.
We accept applications for all terms year-round but please note the following deadlines:
- March 15 for internships starting in June
- June 15 for internships starting in September
- October 15 for internships starting in January
The duties of an intern include editing, fact-checking and research, proofreading, answering phones, generating article ideas, and monitoring the progress of special projects. Interns participate in the planning of issues, evaluate manuscript submissions, and are encouraged to write for oxfordamerican.org.
Applications should include a résumé and writing samples. Please specify the term for which you are applying.
Submit your application using this form. Simply create a Submittable account and follow the instructions to attach your materials.
Thank you for your interest.