The Oxford American is hiring a Donor Engagement and Retail Coordinator
Position Type: Full-time with benefits
Reports to: Director of Finance & Operations and Circulation Director
Summary: The Oxford American is a nonprofit 501c(3) arts organization that publishes the Oxford American, a quarterly national literary magazine, and produces and presents multidisciplinary programming. The OA is a unique cultural institution in the South. Because the OA is a nonprofit, fundraising is an ongoing and necessary function that all staff members contribute to in some way.
The Donor Engagement and Retail Coordinator has an opportunity to creatively use marketing and communications skills to help develop and implement the Oxford American’s donor membership club, the OA Society.
This position also serves as the primary telephone and email contact for donor, retail, and subscription-related inquiries and is a liaison between internal departments and external stakeholders; is responsible for updating and marketing the OA’s online store; and works in a fulfillment role for packages mailed to subscribers, online store customers, donors, etc.
- Respond in a courteous, timely, and professional manner to all external inquiries received through voicemail, in person, email, word of mouth, or from other departments.
- Work closely with customers, the OA’s subscription management service (Palm Coast), and with the OA’s Circulation Director to problem-solve subscription issues.
- Via e-newsletter, social media, and print: Creatively market the OA’s back issue catalog and merchandise to drive earned revenue on the OA’s online store.
- Fulfill and ship orders from the OA’s online store and ship packages for internal departments in a timely manner.
- Further develop, market, implement, and maintain donor communications, outreach, and retention, including the OA Society membership club via mailed newsletters, e-newsletters, and personal notes.
- Learn and use Neon customer-service management system to update donor records, create and manage campaigns, and pull donor reports as needed for communication with donors.
- Inventory and order office supplies from Office Depot as needed or requested.
- Maintain inventory of online retail store items and shipping supplies.
- Serve as liaison with independent bookstores who receive OA issues for resale.
- Manage e-newsletter list.
- Prepare and document merchandise that leaves the office for trade shows, partnership events, festivals, etc., updating inventory as necessary.
- Assist with OA programming setup as needed
- Office duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (in-person, in writing, and over the phone).
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline and to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or experience in Marketing and/or Communications highly desired.
- Exceptional organizational skills, and ability to track and manipulate large amounts of meticulous, detailed data.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, MS Word, GoogleDocs required; knowledge of Emma (email marketing platform), Neon (donor portal), OrderCup (shipping software) and Shopify (online store) a huge plus.
- Physical ability to lift and transport packages, boxes, and magazines, often up stairs.
- Highly cooperative and resourceful approach to problem-solving, whether independently, with subscribers/customers/donors, or with other staff members.
- Willingness to learn new skills and work cooperatively for the OA’s mission.
- Access to a reliable vehicle for daily post office runs is ideal.
The Oxford American offers a comprehensive year-round editorial internship program.
Internships are unpaid, and we have full-time and part-time positions available. Internship terms begin in January, June, and September, though the program provides some flexibility for starting dates. Six-month internships are also available. The Oxford American's office is located in the South Main neighborhood of Little Rock, Arkansas, and we have a satellite office on the campus of the University of Central Arkansas in Conway.
We accept applications for all terms year-round but please note the following deadlines:
- March 15 for internships starting in June
- June 15 for internships starting in September
- October 15 for internships starting in January
The duties of an intern include editing, fact-checking and research, proofreading, answering phones, generating article ideas, and monitoring the progress of special projects. Interns participate in the planning of issues, evaluate manuscript submissions, and are encouraged to write for oxfordamerican.org.
Applications should include a résumé and writing samples. Please specify the term for which you are applying.
Submit your application using this form. Simply create a Submittable account and follow the instructions to attach your materials.
Thank you for your interest.