Artist: Maury Gortemiller
Project: Do the Priest in Different Voices
Description: Maury Gortemiller’s work Do the Priest in Different Voices shows us familiar scenes from an unfamiliar viewpoint. The images in this series blend the icons of Christian epiphany and mysticism with mundane objects from our everyday experience, changing the backdrops of one thousand year old stories to this century in a distinctly American setting.
- The Pity The Pity
- Ghosts Ghosts
- Hell and Backwards Hell and Backwards
- Penance Tattoo Penance Tattoo
- Halos Halos
- You'll Never Walk Alone You'll Never Walk Alone
- Smoke of the Anger Smoke of the Anger
- Hall of Ology Hall of Ology
- Star Gate Sequence Star Gate Sequence
- The Wall The Wall
- Truck Stop Chapel Truck Stop Chapel
- Content Aware Content Aware
Maury Gortemiller is an Atlanta-based photographer and educator. His work has appeared in exhibitions at the Museum of Contemporary Art Georgia, the Atlanta Contemporary Art Center and the Aperture Foundation Gallery in New York. His written work has been published in Art Papers, Perdiz Magazine, and The New Encyclopedia of Southern Culture.