The Education Issue
Aug. 2011 - Issue: 74
Brand-Spanking New: THE EDUCATION ISSUE 2011
It's time for school and The Oxford American's new issue is packed with reading material you won't find in any classroom:
- Ron Rash, Wendy Brenner, and J.D. Daniels on death, spelling bees, and exploding chalk.
- Kevin Brockmeier time-travels back to the seventh grade—and gets shoved in a locker.
- Emily Bernard and her students get lost in the academic wilderness.
- Mark Edmundson berates the incoming class.
- Anne Gisleson plays the lotto—with her kids' futures.
- Seeking love online: a college student's virtual romance.
- Editor Marc Smirnoff battles an intern over the ethics of unpaid labor.
- Back-to-school fiction, featuring Steve Yarbrough and Jack Pendarvis.
PLUS: A SPECIAL INVESTIGATION on the toxic trash pits of Iraq and Afghanistan—J. Malcolm Garcia discovers what's killing our soldiers and travels to Florida to meet the families left behind.