Best of the South 2011
June 2011 - Issue: 73
It's spring, so that means The OA is in love! This year's Best of the South Issue shares the joy with great writing on dating, dangerous expeditions, hillbilly Shakespeare, and more, including:
- Hal Crowther takes on the Radical Right...from the Middle East to the Bible Belt.
- Bronwen Dickey dives into a town's murky past.
- Bikes, bosoms, and backroads: Diane Roberts's wild ride with artist Jim Roche.
- Teen hobos: The freight-train photography of Mike Brodie.
- The Buddha smile: Was Barry Hannah Asian?
- New fiction by three Southern superstars: Cary Holladay, John Brandon, and Stephanie Powell Watts.
- Erik Reece on the lost literary masterpiece of a Kentucky hermit.
- PLUS: A selection of lovin' ODES to the very best cheap suit, video crack, literary cop, bicycle race, outhouse, gumbo, cat lab, hot rod, naked fruit, and more.